At our December 17th BBF Regional Council meeting, we hosted a Substance Use Disorder professional development opportunity in collaboration with Kingdom Recovery Center and Oak Leaf and Pine Counseling. The workshop was presented by Carol Smith from Oak Leaf and Pine Counseling, PLC. We had 26 community partners attend. This two hour training provided basic concepts related to substance abuse and the impact this issue has on our community. The learning objectives for this training were as follows:
- Participants will be able to identify and discuss concerns about substance abuse and the current situation of substance use in our community
- Participants will be able to list common drug types
- Participants will identify potential symptoms associated with commonly abused drugs
- Participants will be able to identify services available for persons with substance abuse issues
- Participants will identify barriers to receiving assistance
- Participants will feel more prepared to hold a conversation with someone regarding services and seeking hel
In addition, we were able to offer 2 hours of Specialized Childcare professional development hours for this training.
On January 14, 2018 – we hosted a follow up discussion on Substance Use Disorders Programs and Services. We had 22 community partners join us to learn more about prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery services in our community.
Upcoming BBF Regional Council Meetings:
The next BBF Regional Council meeting is scheduled for February 18, 2019 from 5:30-7:00 PM at the AHS Conference Room at the Vermont Department of Health (VDH) in St. Johnsbury. The agenda will include presentations on the ‘How Are Vermont’s Young Children and Families (HAVYCF) Report’ and the Building Vermont’s Future from the Child Up Think Tank Report’ followed by a facilitated conversation.
Our March 18th BBF Regional Council meeting will be held from 5:30-7:00 PM at the AHS Conference Room –VDH in St. Johnsbury. The agenda will include updates on Dabble Day, Highlights from Early Childhood Day at the Legislature etc.
Our 12th Annual Dabble Day of Caledonia/Southern Essex is scheduled for Saturday, March 16, 2019 from 9:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at the St. Johnsbury School. It is a fun, free event that is rich in resources for families with young children. It is an opportunity for children to learn while having fun participating in a variety of activities hosted by community partners. Each family receives a bag with important community information.
Other Important News: We are in the process of hiring for a BBF Coordinator in Orleans/Northern Essex and Caledonia/Southern Essex.